Sunday 20 May 2012

Carmarthen Journal - All in the Timing Review

All in the timing review.

All in the timing is a collection of short plays written in the late 1980's early 1990's by David Iles. There was a lot of anticipation as I walked into the Merlin Centre of Trinity University, as this was the first production by The Coracle Theatre Project and by the impressive audience it was set to be a success. Created from the artistic mind set of Bryony Evett Hackford and from seeing a selection of her pieces before I was intrigued on her choice of one act plays combining into a short thirty minute performance. As the lights dimmed and the audience sat elbow to elbow I instantly felt at ease, the set was minimalist which didn't distract from the contemporay stylised movement that was to open the evenings enteratainment. At first I wasn't sure how the use of the chereography would work as the collection of plays are all comedic and draw the audience in because of this, however the use of dance made a really beautiful and well thought out opening scence.

The evening did not cease to surpsrise me never had I seen a play that focused on language and the effect in which language has on the world that we live in, yet instead of making this a subject that had the audience yawning after two minutes of watching, this had a completly different effect. The
use of a musical parody in one scence was so overpowering especially as cast members were hidden amongst the audience gave you the sense that you had come along to a show that you too could be a part of. Once again Bryony Evett Hackford has firmly cemented herself within the world of theatre and this is a place she definately deserves. All I have to say is show me the place that I can learn Unamunda!

No comments:

Post a Comment