Wednesday 9 January 2013

Why are we up at 3am on the phone.

When your growing up, you have a million ideas on life. What your going to be when your grown up, that was a Vet for me I was determined I wanted to save the lives of animals but then after my pet rabbit which went by ten different names sadly died, this soon changed. I wanted to be a teacher for children with autism, but then thought children aren't really for me. I then decided a forensic psychologist was the way forward, despite being hemophobic and dreadful at science (as you can see I didn't exactly think this through)
    Amidst wanting to save the world, be a princess for a day and own a few hundred unicorns all different colours  and  chasing alligators in an attempt to make them giant pets, I came to the saddening conclusion that none of these careers would work as some were simply a little too far fetched even for an imagination as vivid as mine! The point I am making is when your young the world is filled with ideas, plans and ways in which we as individuals are going to make ourselves happy.

Its up to us to go and find them. When I was eight, I started writing I used to babble on about anything under the sun, make imaginary stories and sit everyone down and act them out as if they were the next best seller. It made me happy, really happy. Anything that popped into my head was the best idea yet to make a story. I used to create people, families, pets, homes, worlds even and live in them in my room, my handwriting getting more and more frantic as I reached the anticipated conclusion.

I used to carry round a tatty book with me and jot down things, sentences, sometimes even words that I was determined to slot in. Writing gives me this sense of purpose, I am near enough useless at anything else. Maths is my enemy and shall be forever and anything else I barely get by with. I want to change the world with words both good and bad but I want to do it, to make an impact, a lasting impression.


Writing is an act of optimism we wouldn't take the time to do it, if we felt it didn't matter - Edward Albee.

No comments:

Post a Comment